Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hobbit Cafe

Bilbo the Magnificent
photo credit to Subspace on Flickr
~~~~~~~~~
I wish I had a picture of my reason for going to the Hobbit for the past 14 years ~ the Fatty Lumpkin. It is the best tuna salad sandwich in the world ~ I've never had better, and I've tasted many, many tunafish sandwiches over my lifetime. The Hobbit Cafe - which used to be the Hobbit Hole - is a cool little joint off of West Alabama near Kirby.

When it was the Hobbit Hole, it was located in a old funky house off of South Shepherd. I used to go with my old friend, Kerry ~ we were both fond of good tuna salad and would make a pilgrimage to the Hobbit to satisfy our cravings. The inside was cool - I remember purple walls and lots of pictures of hobbits and fairies and other middle earth inhabitants. The vibe was new agey, old hippy, veggie lovers, montrose funk ~ I loved it.

They moved to their much nicer location several years ago - and though a lot of the funk is gone - the food is still outstanding, and they've got one of the best patios in town. Sean always gets the turkey burger or black bean nachos. I've tried a few different things - the fish tacos and the chicken salad sandwich - but they just made me wish I had ordered the Fatty Lumpkin. Such good tuna - with apples and celery - a big tomato slice, some alphalfa sprouts and melted cheese on toast - with shredded carrots or awesome fries on the side. You can wash it all down with their herbal iced tea of the day - or try one of their many beers on tap. If they have St. Arnold Elissa ~ well then, that makes for a perfect meal on the patio :)

I can't wait to take Lyle there on a regular basis - to meet friends there - to have a freakin' fatty lumpkin whenever I get the urge. The Hobbit is on my list of reasons I love and miss Houston ~ and I'm sharing it with you ~ if you're ever in the neighborhood, go!

2243 Richmond Avenue ~ Houston, TX 77098 ~ (713) 526-5460

No comments:

Post a Comment